Exploring human-robot interaction and telepresence via socially-aware humanoid robots.
Partners: Bristol Robotics Laboratory, Oxford Internet Institute, Queen Mary University of London, University of Bath, University of Cambridge, University of Exeter & University of Oxford.
My surrogate son for 3 years - Nao the CREATE lab robot
Shaking Hands And Cooperation In Tele-Present Human-Robot Negotiation
Meeting the children: Nao @ Bath Taps into Science
Testing emotion recognition with Danae and Hatice
Telepresent motion capture testing at Bristol Robotics Laboratory
Capturing facial emotions
Mark Levene testing an Oculus Rift VR headset
Puppeteering with Nao
Puppet Presence: The Rusty Squid designed custom armature
Chris presenting - via a robot - at the Pint of Science Festival, The Bell. Bath
Puppet Presence Team
Todd and Lillian: Puppeteers
- Investigating Social Evaluative Threat (SET) Using A Robotic Stress Testing Panel
- Julie M Turner-Cobb, Mashal Asif, Chris Bevan, Danaë Stanton Fraser, and James E. Turner. 2017. Psychosomatic Medicine. American Psychosomatic Society.
- Evaluating a mobile spontaneous eye blink tracker for use in tele-presence HRI as a low bandwidth social communicative cue
- Chris Bevan and Danaë Stanton Fraser. 2016. 25th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN '16). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ROMAN.2016.7745182.
- Shaking Hands and Cooperation in Tele-present Human-Robot Negotiation
- Chris Bevan and Danaë Stanton Fraser. 2015. In Proceedings of the Tenth Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI '15). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 247-254. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2696454.2696490.
- Being there: humans and robots in public spaces
- Paul Bremner, Niki Trigoni, Ian Brown, Hatice Gunes, Chris Bevan, Danaë Stanton Fraser and Mark Levine. 2013. In G. Herrmann, M. J. Pearson, A. Lenz, P. Bremner, A. Spiers, & U. Leonards (Eds.), Social Robotics: 5th International Conference, ICSR 2013, Bristol, UK. Springer. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-02675-6.
- Use of a Non-Human Robot Audience to Induce Stress Reactivity in Human Participants
- Julie Turner-Cobb, Mashal Asif, James E. Turner, Chris Bevan and Danaë Stanton Fraser. 2019. Computers in Human Behavior. Elsevier. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2019.05.019.
- Workshop on Designing and Evaluating Social Robots for Public Settings
- Chris Bevan, Paul Bremner, Danaë Stanton Fraser and Hatice Gunes. 2015. International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) 2015. IEEE/RSJ.
- Why shaking hands is still a big deal
- The Daily Telegraph. May 11, 2015.
- Handshakes so effective at building trust during business negotiations that they work even when one of the parties is a robot
- The Independent. May 11, 2015.
- Shaking hands makes for better deals say scientists: Even if it's the cold metal grip of NAO the robot
- Daily Mail. May 11, 2015.
- Can humans get on with robots?
- Financial Times. Jan. 3, 2014.
- New project to measure human interaction with robots
- University of Bath. Dec. 11, 2013.
- Why shaking hands matters (even when it's virtual)
- University of Bath. May 11, 2015.
- Best Paper Award
- Shaking Hands and Cooperation in Tele-Present Human-Robot Negotiation. ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI 2015).